Maoists Deny Role in Khagaria Massacre
Posted by Admin on October 4, 2009
Patna: October 3, 2009
Refuting the allegations made by the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad Yadav and his ally and Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chief Ram Vilas Paswan, the Communist Party of India (CPI-Maoist) leaders, through a message to a local newspaper, denied having played any role in the Khagaria massacre that left 16 people, including 5 children, dead on late Thursday night.
Suspected Maoist leader Sanesh, while expressing sympathy for the families of the victims, in his message to a Hindi daily on Saturday said that it was an attempt to defame the organization and his outfit would trace the killers and punish them fittingly.
Earlier, both Paswan and Yadav had accused the Maoists of killing 16 people while also blaming the government for not providing security to the villagers who, they said, remained soft targets of the leftist ultras.
The state government, however, had been steadfast in its stand that the massacre was the result of an old land-related dispute and was not related with the Maoists in the region.
Meanwhile, the state officials on Saturday suspended Khagaria Superintendent of Police (SP) Indranand Mishra and Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Ajay Kumar Pandey for ‘dereliction of duty’.
Talking to the reporters, Principal Home Secretary Amir Subhani said while 11 people, including the alleged mastermind of the massacre O. P. Mahto, were already in police custody, raids were still going on in the district to apprehend other men who participated in the first such carnage since Janata Dal (U) leader Nitish Kumar became the Chief Minister of Bihar in 2005.