Centre to launch anti-naxal operations in tri-junctions
Posted by Admin on November 1, 2009
As Maoists menace continued to be unabated, the government is all set to launch the much-awaited full-fledged anti-naxal operations at three different areas, considered tri-junctions of worst naxal-affected states.
The tri-junctions which have been identified for the offensive are Andhra Pradesh-Maharashtra-Chhattisgarh; Orissa-Jharkhand-Chhattisgarh and West Bengal-Jharkhand- Orissa.
Home Ministry sources said around 40,000 paramilitary personnel will assist the respective state police forces during the operations that will be launched soon.
Almost 7,000 specially-trained troops in jungle warfare are also part of the total strength of the central forces to be deployed for the task.
The Cabinet Committee on Security had already approved the government’s new plan to counter Maoists under which the affected states will have an effective coordination and the police will take a lead role.
The anti-naxal plan also includes Rs 7,300 cr package for unleashing developmental works in areas cleared off the Left-wing extremists.
Officials feel that naxal menace, which now spread to 40,000 sq km area across the country, can be wiped out in a period of 12 to 30 months.
Around 25 lakh people live in areas where Maoists are now having a free run.
The naxalites have killed more than 2,600 people, including civilians, in 5,800 incidents in last three years.
The highest number of incidents of violence has taken place in four worst-affected states — Chhattisgarh, Bihar, Jharkhand and Orissa — where 2,212 people lost their lives from January 2006 to August this year.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had described Left-wing extremism as the gravest internal security threat and called for a nuanced strategy to tackle the naxal violence.
Home Minister P Chidambaram has said naxalism has spread to 20 states with over 2,000 police station areas in 223 districts partially or substantially affected. The Hindu